I am a highly experienced consultant, delivering sustainable improvements in large and medium size organisations. I love working with organisations to help them solve their business problems. I believe that it is vital to build internal capability, transferring my skills & knowledge to enable teams & individuals to develop & grow. I have over 20 year’s experience in strategy & business improvement. I am focused on making the complex simple, designing solutions that are clear, easy to understand and sustainable.
I work with directors and senior executives to develop new strategies and ensure that change is directed and customer focused. I am equally at home working with customer facing staff where, the “rubber hits the road” mobilising & aligning the organisation behind its goals.
I have experience across a number of sectors in the UK including: Commercial, Utilities, National & Local Government, Housing, Facilities Management, Call Centres & Leisure.
My areas of expertise are:
- Business excellence & operational improvement.
- Strategy development & deployment.
- Business process analysis, improvement and re-engineering.
- Kaplan & Norton’s Strategy Mapping and Balanced Scorecard (development & implementation).
- Training & development of internal change agents & change teams.
- Lean/six sigma green belt (including Minitab).
- Structured problem solving.
- Practical business performance measurement systems & metrics.
- Visual management systems for Business Performance tracking.
- Workshop design & facilitation.
- Leading & managing change.
- Customer journey mapping.
Associate Catalyst Consulting
December 2017 – Present
John Kirk Consulting Ltd – February 2015 – Present
Severn Trent Water Ltd
January 2008 – February 2015 (7 years)
Metrics & Performance Manager
Severn Trent Water Ltd
July 2005 – January 2008 (2 years, 3 months)
Business Improvement Manager
Severn Trent Plc
February 2002 – July 2005 (2 years, 6 months)
Midlands Excellence Ltd
February 2000 – February 2002 (2 years)
John Kirk Consulting: February 2015 – Present Date
UK Based Facilities Management Company
I led a Lean Six Sigma project focused on improving the operation of a large call centre. I implemented changes to key processes, introduced Communication Cells with focused Key Performance Indicators relevant to the “Voice of the Customer”. Upskilled & coached managers & employees in every day process improvement techniques. The project delivered over £200,000 savings p.a., improved customer service through the reduction of chase calls and delivered a number of key design requirements for a new Help Desk IT system with a £100,000 contribution to the business case.
UK Environmental & Recreation Charity
Designed & delivered a Business Improvement training programme, including – Performance Measurement, Data Analysis, Process Mapping Visual Management, Problem Solving & Communication Cells. Excellent feedback from delegates (Net Promotor score 87%), Communications Cells have been implemented across the business and Customer service improved.
Severn Trent Water: January 2008–February 2015: Expert Practitioner
- Implemented Communication Cells & Performance Boards across the Company in Operational & Customer facing teams. Ensured alignment with Company key performance indicators and that all metrics were leading indicators of performance. Provided coaching & feedback and implemented a standard approach across the Company. This delivered tangible performance improvement, cost savings & increased customer satisfaction.
- Delivered a major business improvement project in Water Production, using team based “Lean” improvement tools. Provided coaching & facilitation of local operational teams to ensure a sustainable solution, resulting in improved water quality and employee satisfaction scores.
- Managed the introduction of a Balanced Scorecard for the Executive Board. Planned and facilitated a series of workshops to design and implement the CEO’s Scorecard. Developed key metrics and facilitated the Executive during their monthly performance review meetings. The work continued with the implementation of individual Director Scorecard’s ensuring line of sight with the CEO’s Scorecard. This provided a clear visual performance system and ensured the board focused on the “vital few” business performance indicators.
- Developed and managed the training programme for the Severn Trent Business Improvement Programme. This included the introduction of a comprehensive on-line e-learning suite, a clear qualification structure linked into SAP and Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Training, plus, delivery of key modules.
Qualifications & Training
Excellence Practitioner, April 2016: Investors in Excellence.
Lean Six Sigma Green/Black belt (Inc. Minitab), September 2014: OPEX Resources.
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt, January 2014: Process Management International.
Performance Measurement, November 2012: Stacy Barr Pty Ltd.
European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM), 2002-2004: Midlands Excellence Senior Assessor.
Warwick University, 2002 – 2005: Master’s Degree in Business Administration.
Plymouth University, 1976 -1979: 2:1 Honours Degree, Biological Sciences.
Interests & Hobbies
Mountain Biking & Hill Walking to keep fit, family based activities, DIY & reading.