Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt Training provides experienced Black Belts with the advanced skills required to become Master Black Belts.
The British Quality Foundation’s ultimate level of certification in Lean Six Sigma.
A go-to resource for solving the most challenging business problems
An expert and role model in the use of process data and Lean Six Sigma best practice
Support and influence business leaders in building a Continuous Improvement culture
Lead the deployment of Lean Six Sigma in the business
Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt Certification Programme Details
Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt candidates will already be experienced, certified Black Belts. This programme will help address gaps between the Black Belt’s current skills and experience and the level required to meet the British Quality Foundation Master Black Belt certification requirements. An assessment is carried out to identify the gaps and recommend how these can be addressed by training or experience, taking into account the candidate’s business needs and personal preferences. The programme followed will therefore, to some extent, be unique to each individual.
There are 4 basic requirements for British Quality Foundation Master Black Belt certification:
- Possession of a BQF Black Belt certificate (or equivalent)
- Completion of an appropriate programme of Training
- Passing the exam
- Assessment of Master Black Belt level proficiency in Lean Six Sigma
Master Black Belts:
- Lead large scale DMAIC projects (often encompassing a number of discrete Black Belt/Green Belt sub-projects)
- Are a “go-to“ resource in the business when strong technical skills such as data analysis, workshop facilitation etc are required
- Are experts in the field of Change Management
- Coach Green and Black Belts, maximising their project delivery and learning…
- …As well as supporting and building the effectiveness of the Project Champions
- Often develop and deliver Lean Six Sigma related training to employees at all levels in the organisation as a component of helping to build a Continuous Improvement culture
- Support and influence business leaders towards building a continuous improvement culture
- Lead the deployment of Lean Six Sigma thinking and management
The following Catalyst and BQF training courses are the most commonly taken by prospective Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt delegates:
- Advanced Black Belt Tools (3 days)
- Managing Change (3 days)
- Lean Six Sigma for Innovation and Design (= Design for Six Sigma, 3 days)
- Advanced MBB Tools (Statistical Tools, 3 days)
- Value Stream Mapping Masterclass (2 days)
- Introduction to Transformational Change Masterclass (1 day)
- Facilitating Improvement Workshops Masterclass (1 day)
- Agile-enabled Lean Six Sigma (2 days)
- Lean Practitioner (3 days)
- Introduction to Transformational Change (1 day)
View our Master Class courses here.
- EFQM Assessor (2 days)
- Benchmarking (1 day)
- Balanced Scorecard (1 day)
You will be required to present a record of your Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt level proficiency and experience including:
- Examples of training and coaching you have led
- Examples of the application of Lean Six Sigma tools to challenging problems
- Details of any overall improvement programmes for which you have had responsibility
- Examples of Workshops you have facilitated
- How you have demonstrated CI leadership in your organisation
- How you have influenced change in your organisation
- Storyboards and critiques of projects that you have led and / or coached others (BBs and GBs) to lead; we would normally expect at least 6 such projects to be presented in this way
You should prepare a summary report listing your experiences of the above and compile and evidence folder. A long, written report is not required.
You will then be asked to meet for about ½ day with a small panel of Assessors to go through and discuss this record in detail with you.
You will be required to sit a 2-hour lean six sigma master black belt open book exam which will test your fluency with the more advanced tools and techniques which you are likely to utilize yourself or coach others to use. Many of the questions will require you to undertake statistical analysis on sets of data presented to you using Minitab and interpret your findings.
- Course materials.
- We will do all we can to help build your experience as a CI leader. If you enrol on a programme of training, you will be invited to participate in Catalyst’s 6-monthly Deployment Leaders Network events. Here you will have the opportunity to meet and exchange knowledge with deployment leaders and experts from our extensive and diverse client list as well as our consultancy team.
- You will also receive 1 year’s individual membership of BQF where you will be able to benefit from access to their many events and special interest groups.
Graham SharpOffice for National Statistics
FAQ and Contact Us
Our expert team is waiting to help you with your Master Black Belt enquiry
How do I know this is the right course for me?
If you are a Black Belt and have been working in the role for a while, you want to keep developing your skills and want to get formal recognition of your ability then this is something you should consider. The next step is to call us for an informal discussion with one of our MBBs.
If you’re not sure which course is best suited for you, give us a call today on +44 (0)845 345 2282 or drop us a line on email@example.com and we’ll call you back.
Are there any pre-requisites to the course?
Yes – you need to be a BQF certified Black Belt. If you have an equivalent level of qualification then call us to discuss – in principle this not a barrier to MBB certification.
How long do I have to complete the programme?
It depends where you are in your development. Around a year from your first engagement with us is typical.
Do I need to complete a project to participate in this course?
You’ll need to present a substantial portfolio of evidence of project work as well as the broader aspects of your Lean Six Sigma activities.
What support do you offer to help me with the training?
You’ll be supported by our in-house Master Black Belts.
Do I receive a training certificate?
We issue training completion certificates for each course you attend. BQF will issue the Master Black Belt certificate following successful assessment.
How many CPD points is the course worth?
This depends on the level of development you undertake but probably a pretty significant amount of CPD points to be gained.
Can I upgrade to other courses after completion?
There aren’t any formal qualifications in Lean Six Sigma beyond this one! But as a high level CI professional we would welcome your participation in our events. And as we are at the forefront of LSS thought leadership, there will undoubtedly be relevant new subjects, which will enter the CI field which we can keep you in touch with.